Lying north of the Arctic Circle in the heart of Swedish Lapland, the Kungsleden Trail weaves it's way through pine forests and birch woods, over high, barren passes and through remote picturesque mountains. Our 2 week tour will take us some 200kms through some of the most spectacular and isolated scenery in Europe.
Thanks to the great work of the Swedish Tourist Foundation (STF) in preserving and servicing this iconic trail, we will stay each night in cosy mountain cabins. The cabins are basic, no electricity or running water, but warm and comfortable and well thought out. Each cabin is manned by a friendly host; the rooms are heated by wood burning stoves; there are gas burners for cooking; and water is collected from nearby water holes on frozen lakes or rivers. Every second cabin has a small shop where we will be able to restock our food and snacks for the coming days.
The trail itself is very well marked with sticks and red crosses, so that even in the worst conditions it is easy to navigate. Being occasionally traveled by snow machines servicing the huts, the snow is also well packed for pleasant skiing. This tour is a perfect introduction to multi-day ski trips, suitable for all skill levels.
This landscape is also filled with wildlife, reindeer, moose, lynx, bears, foxes, hares and wolverine inhabit the mountains, not to mention golden eagles, white tailed eagles, gyrfalcons, peregrine falcons, golden plovers and ptarmigan.
- Day 1 Fly Stockholm - Kiruna. Bus Kiruna - Abisko. Ski Abisko - Abiskojaure - 15kms
- Day 2 Abiskojaure - Alesjaure - 21kms
- Day 3 Alesjaure - Tjäktja - 13kms
- Day 4 Tjäktja - Sälka - 12kms
- Day 5 Sälka - Kaitumjaure - 25kms
- Day 6 Kaitumjaure - Teusajaure - 9kms
- Day 7 Teusajaure - Vakkotavare - 16kms
- Day 8 Bus Vakkotavare - Kebnats. Ski over lake Kebnats to Saltoluokta - 5kms
- Day 9 Saltoluokta - Sitojaure - 19kms
- Day 10 Sitojaure - Aktse - 10kms
- Day 11 Aktse - Pårte - 22kms
- Day 12 Pårte - Kvikkjokk - 17kms. Village walking tour with Björn Salstad.
- Day 13 Travel Kvikkjok, Jokkmokk, Luleå, Stockholm.