This tour will take us approximately 200kms across Norway's Hardangervidda and Hallingskarvet National Parks. Beginning in Haukeliseter on the south side of the Hardangervidda, we will travel north over Europe's largest mountain plateau, before turning east at the mountain hamlet of Finse and skiing along the spectacular Hallingskarvet to our final destination, the bustling ski town of Geilo. With vast rolling hills and frozen lakes, this beautiful winter landscape is a perfect testing ground for polar expeditions to come. Shackelton, Scott and Amundsen all spent time training in this neighbourhood and we consider it a great step towards a long polar trip. The weather in these mountains can switch back and forth from beautiful sunshine to howling storms, and we will be both wowed by the beauty at times and tested by the conditions at others.
Although we will be passing some huts and roughly travelling in the direction of well-traveled routes, this tour is a full winter camping trip.
All camping and winter touring equipment is provided.
- Day 1 - Monday, April 15th - Afternoon bus from Oslo to Haukeli Fjellstue arriving evening.
- Day 2 - Tuesday, April 16th - Haukeli - Hellvasbu - 26kms
- Day 3 - Wednesday, April 17th - Hellevasbu - Litlos - 20kms
- Day 4 - Thursday, April 18th - Litlos - Sandhaug - 26kms
- Day 5 - Friday, April 19th - Sandhaug - Lågaros - 22kms
- Day 6 - Saturday, April 20th - Lågaros - Rauhellern - 17kms
- Day 7 - Sunday, April 21st - Rauhellern - Tuva - 27kms
- Day 8 - Monday, April 22nd - Tuva - Krækkja - 25kms
- Day 9 - Tuesday, April 23rd - Krækkja - Finse - 22kms
- Day 10 - Wednesday, April 24th - Finse - Lordehytta - 12kms
- Day 11 - Thursday, April 25th - Lordehytta - Presholtseter - 19kms
- Day 12 - Friday, April 26th - Prestholtseter - Geilo - 10kms
- Day 13 - Saturday, April 27th - Demob and depart Geilo